I knew I wouldn’t be able to get a painting done by press time this week. I was away with my family on our annual spring break camp trip for a chunk of last week. I should be able to finish this painting in the next few days though.
Before I left, I was working on building my first ever canvases since I finally ran out of the store bought ones I had. The first one was a little wonky, but I improved by the second one. I used instructions from Emptyeasel.com to construct my stretcher bars, but with smaller wood since I didn’t want deep canvases. It took me a while, but it was easier than I thought it’d be. I hope the more I make the faster I’ll get at it.
So far, I’ve just been painting to the edge, leaving the the sides white. I think this works ok for thin canvases that will look better in a frame regardless. The canvases I made are a little thicker than my store bought ones at 7/8 inch thick. I am considering painting the edges from now on so people who buy my paintings don’t feel put off by the added expense and hassle of needing to frame it. Once I start painting on larger canvases, I plan on making thicker canvases.
Read more about this painting: